UBUNTU FOR ANDROID
Now, here is something that would really catch each open-source lover's attention. Team Ubuntu has come up with the idea of running Ubuntu on your Android device. Ubuntu for Android, as they call it, is an upcoming free and open source variant of Ubuntu designed to run on Android phones. It is expected to come pre-loaded on several phones. Android was shown at Mobile World Congress 2012. The best thing about Ubuntu for Android is that you don't have to reboot the device as both the operating systems use the same kernel.
Other salient features include :
1. Both Ubuntu and Android run at the same time on the device, without emulation or virtualization.
2. When the device is connected to a desktop monitor, it features a standard Ubuntu Desktop interface.
3. When the device is connected to a TV, the interface featured is the Ubuntu TV experience.
4. Ability to run standard Ubuntu Desktop applications, like Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, etc.
5. Ability to run Android applications on the Ubuntu Desktop.
6. Make and receive calls and SMSs directly from the Desktop
In order to use Ubuntu for Android, the device should have :
1. Dual-core 1 GHz CPU
2. Video acceleration: shared kernel driver with associated X driver; OpenGL, ES/EGL
3. Storage: 2 GB for OS disk image
4. HDMI: video-out with secondary framebuffer device
5. USB host mode
6. 512 MB RAM
Here is an image showing Ubuntu running on an Android device, docked to a desktop monitor.
For more info you can visit the official page.